HELLO SUMMER! Most people fear summer for their figure. Either they don’t have their “summer body” ready yet or the festivities of BBQs and beaches make staying “on track” a feat saved for the amazing ones. But, before I give you my summer tips and meal ideas that help me enjoy my summer with as little stress as possible, I wanted to give my take on the “summer body.”
How many times have you told yourself that THIS summer I will be able to wear a bikini. THIS summer I will wear shorts. THIS summer I will not gain weight. Has it happened yet? Or have you missed opportunities to go to the beach with your kids or on a boat with friends or to a pool party with family? Have those super cute white shorts stayed in your “I wish” bin along with your bikini and your fun??? I’m not saying you need to wear these things to have fun, but you need to have fun and wear these things! I skipped many things just to avoid certain people seeing me in a bikini or to not have to worry if the guy I was dating would see better bodies in a bikini. I have delayed vacations because I wanted to look better in a bikini if I was going to go on a beach vacation. I have not worn my daisy dukes, tank top and cowboy boots to a country concert because I didn’t feel lean enough. I love the look of skinny jeans with a little “keds” type sneaker but always felt my legs were too thick for that style. I love rompers but don’t have a little waist so I always think twice about buying them. Not anymore. If it’s cute and you freakin’ love it, enough said. Buy it. Wear it. Rock it.
I have dieted hard during the first couple months of the year just to rebound by the time summer came anyway! I have never felt “ready” for summer. But seriously, what does “READY FOR SUMMER” really look like? I think it looks like the girl at the concert in an outfit so cute and having such a good time that you don’t even notice her body. I think it looks like a mom building a sand castle, chasing seagulls and having a picnic lunch at the beach with her kids. I think it looks like a girl dancing on a boat and jumping in the water in the middle of the lake. I think it looks a woman playing beach volleyball in a pool with her family and walking out of the pool without rushing to her towel. It’s laughter, sunshine, and a carefree attitude. There are too many experiences we miss out on due to worries and insecurities. If the people don’t know you, why do you care what you look like in a bathing suit in front of them? And if they do know you, they don’t care what you look like in shorts. They will like you anyway. Crazy but true.
Take a deep breath, buy the shorts you think are cute and wear the bathing suit you want. Take your kids to the beach. Hitch a ride on the boat. And go to the pool party…and while you’re there… GO IN THE WATER. There is never going to be a time that you feel “ready” to expose parts of you that you have always had an issue with but ask yourself, “Is it really worth worrying about?” Maybe focus on the parts of you that you do feel confident with. Or buy something that you FEEL good in. Maybe it’s a certain color that brings out your eyes or cute shoes that show your hot pink pedicure while you’re wearing those shorts. But don’t pick yourself apart and find every reason why you shouldn’t wear that certain thing. Your body is ready NOW. And I bet you will have so much fun that you will forget about the shorts you’re wearing or the bathing suit you’re in. Stop missing out on things because you aren’t ready. That is a lie. Count to 3 and wear it anyway. If you hate it THAT much, you don’t have to do it again. But chances are, you’ll probably be glad you didn’t sweat bullets in pants or sit on a boat while everyone else had fun. I promise it won’t kill you.
So, if you want to enjoy your summer without feeling like crap from food, here are some of my most common meals for both at home and out…
- GRILL, GRILL, GRILL! My favorite thing to grill are kabobs – beef, chicken, veggie. I grill extra because they are great leftover.
- Grill your veggies with some of Wegman’s basting oil
- Cedar plank WILD salmon
- Corn on the cob!!!! A summer favorite with any meal
- Burgers…yes burgers. Eat them solo, in lettuce, or even on a bun – it’s not like you’re eating them everyday.
- Pasta Salad – I like whole wheat noodles or even better, banza noodles (chick peas)
- add broccoli, cucumbers, peas, peppers, carrots, onion and cheese with an Italian dressing
- Fruit salad! Add a healthy fat to it like nuts on the side
- Corn, black beans, avocado, tomato salad with a southwest seasoning
- Steak is one of my favorites with sweet potatoes and veggies
- Sweet potatoes – I love them baked whole but I also like to dice them up, toss them with olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and cinnamon and bake at 400* until soft
- Sauteed zuchinni, broccoli, tomatoes with garlic, onion and olive oil – toss with pasta or quinoa and add parmesan cheese
- Souvlaki salad or wrap
- Chipotle and Racheal’s bowls
- Quinoa salad – quinoa mixed with a theme such as southwest or greek
- southwest – black beans, tomatoes, avocado
- greek – tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, spinach
- plain greek yogurt mixed with mashed banana and peanut butter
- Apples with almond butter
- Fruit with nuts
- Fresh veggies with hummus
- Fresh veggies with guac
- Rice cakes with peanut butter or tuna plain
- Plain greek yogurt with berries and nuts
And if you know me, you know I have some dessert ideas!
- Bark Thins – dark chocolate
- Yasso frozen greek yogurt bars
- Go out for Fro-Yo
- Melt dark chocolate and peanut butter, drizzle over sliced apples, top with chopped nuts
- do the same thing with banana slices then freeze them!!!
- Dark chocolate covered strawberries or pineapple
- Popsicles – frozen fruit blended with greek yogurt then freeze them (buy the plastic popsicle container)
Finally, if you are going to a BBQ and want to bring a healthy dip, this is one of my favorites. It should be kept cold until serving. Don’t worry about keeping it cold because it will get gobbled up so fast you won’t have to worry!
- Spread bottom layer of pie plate with one container of hummus
- Mix plain greek yogurt with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, spread on top of hummus
- Top with chopped veggies – cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, scallions, and feta cheese
- Serve with fresh pita bread, pita chips, or veggies
I hope you enjoy some nutritious, satisfying meals in your new bathing suit 😉